Acupuncture for pain relief
In general, acupuncture is believed to stimulate the nervous system and cause the release of neuro-chemical messenger molecules. The resulting biochemical changes influence the body's homeostatic mechanisms, thus promoting physical and emotional well-being. Stimulation of certain acupuncture points has been shown to affect areas of the brain that are known to reduce sensitivity to pain and stress. Acupuncture for pain relief has been used successfully for may types of pain. It is recommended for the recurrent tension headaches and migraines on the NHS.
- Chronic Pain
- Sport Injuries
- Back pain, Neck and shoulder pain, Arthritis, Tendonitis, Abdominal pain, IBS etc.
How does Acupuncture help pain:
Acupuncture can reduce pain, inflammation, muscle and joint stiffness.
- Stimulating nerves located in muscles and other tissues, which leads to release of endorphins, and changes the processing of pain in the brain and spinal cord
- Reducing inflammation, by promoting release of vascular and immune factors
- Enhancing local microcirculation, by increasing the diameter and blood flow velocity of peripheral arterioles
- A course of acupuncture usually creates longer lasting pain relief than when a single treatment is used.
“Acupuncture helps me with various pains. It goes straight to the point and I can feel it relaxes me.”